Whether you are traveling abroad, or you are trying not to use up your data plan, using offline maps can be a money/life-saver.
We’ve used CityMaps2Go (and it’s decent), but when Google Maps announced an offline version, we made the switch. Here are the super easy steps to set up an offline map using the free Google Maps app:
- Download the Google Maps app and follow the account setup instructions.
- Enter the city you need at the top. Then, tap the bar at the bottom with the name of the city.
- Tap “Download” (in the middle, on the right).
- Name the map.
- Wait for map to download.
- Now you can use the map when you are offline! Type in a destination.
- This is the biggest difference from other offline maps we’ve used. Google Maps gives you directions from your location to your desired destination and lets you zoom in to be able to read the streets.
Now, if you want to wander around and get lost, you don’t actually have to be lost. Happy travels!